Re: equation trecker questions.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82017] Re: equation trecker questions.
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 05:44:05 -0400 (EDT)

sean_incali wrote:

> I was playing with the equation treker that came with GUIKit release.
>
> When it was first released, I didn' see much use for it, but now I
> have some needs for it at the moment. Well, I coudl live without it,
> but it will help me a lot.
>
> So the questions are...
>
> 1. does equation trekker work with algegraic expression like
> polynomials? Because the following doesn't work.
>
> In[9]:=
> {d= 0.1, c= 1, n= 5};
>
> EquationTrekker[(b c y-a y^n +c y^6)/(b+y^5), {a, y}, None, PlotRange-
>> {{-10, 10},{-10, 10}}, TrekParameters->{b-> {10, {0,20}},a -> {20,
> {1,100}}}]
>
>>From In[9]:= EquationTrekker::ncsol: Could not compute the solution
> sol
>
> Out[10]= $Failed
>
> What do I need to change u there in order to make it work?
>
> 2. Does v. 6 have equation trekker and has it changed much at all?

I am not very familiar with the EquationTrekker package, but the
documentation for version 6 reads, "This package [EquationTrekker]
provides an interactive tool for investigating the solutions of
differential equations as well as /other types of equations that have
solutions that can be viewed as paths or trajectories/." (Emphasize added.)

The following tutorial might be worth reading, especially the section
titled "Defining your own trek generator" which contains a detailed
example about visualizing nested procedures.

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/EquationTrekker/tutorial/EquationTrekker.html

Keep in mind, though, that this is part of the documentation for version
6. I do not know to what extent this can be applied to version 5.2.

Regards,
--
Jean-Marc