Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82023] Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:17:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 9, 4:34 am, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
> Still, my question is: "What is the purpose of theDeferCommand?"
>
> The only potential purpose that I can see is for didactic purposes, to show
> preliminary expressions before they are automatically evaluated. But the
> only way to getDeferto evaluate is by copying and pasting and then
> evaluating,  by using Shift-Ctrl-L and then evaluating, or by evaluating in
> place. All of these operations leave no record of the steps taken. That goes
> contrary to any didactic purpose.
>
> --
> DavidPark
> djmp... at comcast.nethttp://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/
>
> "DavidPark" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> news:fe4uhp$155$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>
> >I do not understand the utility of the newDeferstatement in Mathematica
> > Version 6. Also, it seems to me to be similar to, but not as good as, the
> > HoldTemporary command introduced by Ted Ersek on MathSource a few years
> > ago.
>
> > The help forDefersays: "Defer[expr] yields an object that displays as
> > the
> > unevaluated form of expr, but which is evaluated if it is explicitly given
> > as Mathematica input." What does 'given as Mathematica input' mean? The
> > examples seem to only involve copying and pasting, which I don't consider
> > great method for doing mathematics, or evaluation in place.
>
> > I would like to understand howDefermight be used in expository notebooks
> > to clarify some piece of mathematics. The problem is that it requires an
> > interactive action, which would be invisible to a reader of a notebook.  I
> > think the idea of 'modification in place' is poor in technical
> > communication
> > because it destroys the record of what was done.
>
> > (In the examples below, whenever an output resulted in an expression that
> > copied as a box structure, I converted to InputForm to simplify the
> > posting.)
>
> > Here is a simple example:
>
> > y =Defer[1 + 1]
> > 1 + y                                               giving
>
> > 1 + 1
>
> > 1 + (1 + 1)
>
> > I would prefer that theDeferexpression would have evaluated in the
> > second
> > statement but I guess it is logical that it didn't. If I write:
>
> > 1 + y
>
> > then select the y and Evaluate In Place I obtain the following, which must
> > then be further evaluated to obtain 3.
>
> > 1 + 1 + 1
>
> > 3
>
> > A second example. I want to show an integral without evaluation and then
> > the
> > evaluated result. I have to write the following expression, then select
> > the
> > second line of output, evaluate in place, and then I obtain the result -
> > but
> > as an Input cell. This is certainly a place where HoldForm would be
> > better.

> [...]

You have quite obviously missed the point. Without Defer, we might
actually have to type ReleaseHold. Furthermore, symbols like Defer are
only afforded by keeping the System context free of useless symbols
such as AxesInFront and GridLinesInFront. Stick that in your pipe and
smoke it.

Sincerely,

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/