ListPointPlot3D: awkward AxesLabel locations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82118] ListPointPlot3D: awkward AxesLabel locations
  • From: Gordon Robertson <agrobertson at telus.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:02:46 -0400 (EDT)

In Mathematica 6.0.1, on OSX/Intel/10.4, I'm surprised to find that a 3D
scatterplot's AxesLabels typically overlap with tic labels.

For example, in the following, which uses the default Viewpoint, each
axis label overlaps slightly with the central '1.5' tic label -
ListPointPlot3D[{{1, 1, 1}, {2, 2, 2}},  AxesLabel -> {"x-axis
label", "y-axis label", "z-axis label"},
  LabelStyle -> (FontFamily -> "Helvetica"), PlotStyle -> PointSize
[0.02]]

Changing the viewpoint may eliminate some text overlap, but typically
does not resolve all overlaps. E.g. -
ListPointPlot3D[{{1, 1, 1}, {2, 2, 2}},  AxesLabel -> {"x-axis
label", "y-axis label", "z-axis label"},
  LabelStyle -> (FontFamily -> "Helvetica"), PlotStyle -> PointSize
[0.02],
  ViewPoint -> {0, -2, 0.25}]

The Documentation Centre, though I looked rather quickly, showed no
options that let me declare, on AxesLabels, the equivalent of the
ImageMargins->10 border that I typically declare on plots before I
export them.

I expect that I could declare a custom tic label list for each axis,
and could control these so that each axis had a gap in the tic labels
that accommodated the axis label. But has anyone found a simpler
solution to this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gordon Robertson
BC Cancer Agency Genome Sciences Centre