Re: Recursion limit: a good idea to ignore?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82266] Re: Recursion limit: a good idea to ignore?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:36:25 -0400 (EDT)

Will Robertson wrote:

> I've written a potentially inefficient algorithm to combine multiple
> joined polygons into a single one. On large plots I get the warning
> "$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded." and a
> bunch of errors because of this.
>
> Now, should I try and re-write my program (the speed of it is not
> entirely critical) to avoid recursion or is it "okay" to locally
> remove the recursion limit for such code?

<snip>

It is perfectly OK to set $RecursionLimit to a higher value in some
portion of the code you write with a Block construct (so it does not
interfere with the rest of Mathematica and the value is automatically
reset to its default when the Block construct is exited). For instance,

Block[{$RecursionLimit = 2000},"...your code that need lot of
recursions..."]

Regards,
--
Jean-Marc