RE: Releasing several Holds simultaneously

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82329] RE: Releasing several Holds simultaneously
  • From: "Andrew Moylan" <andrew.j.moylan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:16:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Szabolcs,

My general expression is of the form Hold[SetDelayed[a, b]] where both a and
b may contain one or more Holds. The expression is the result of using
Mathematica to generate Mathematica code.

I start with Hold[SetDelayed[a, b]] and then insert (via /. and
placeholders) code into b. The reason b contains Holds is that some of the
pieces of code that I insert into it are wrapped in Hold because they can't
be evaluated:

pieceofcode = Hold[z[[1]]];

So I could generalise my question like this:

Suppose I have Hold[a := b] and I have pieceofcode = Hold[z[[1]]]. How can I
arrange to evaluate a := z[[1]]?

Here's my present solution:

SetAttributes[SuperHold, HoldAll];
ReleaseSuperHold[expr_] := expr /. SuperHold[x_] :> x;

pieceofcode = Hold[z[[1]]];
SuperHold[a := b] /. b -> pieceofcode //
  ReleaseHold // ReleaseSuperHold;

Andrew