Re: Mathematica 6.01 and openSUSE 10.3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82367] Re: Mathematica 6.01 and openSUSE 10.3
  • From: amaro at fisica.ist.utl.pt
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 17, 9:43 am, Luis <medinariv... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having a problem trying to open Mathematica 6 on a notebook (intel
> core duo) running Linux openSUSE 10.3 .  The kernel runs well, but
> when trying to open the FrontEnd it crashes right away and Mathematica
> shows the following startup error:
>
> " An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up.
> Mathematica may not function properly until this problem is resolved.
> You may choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
> problem. "
>
> If I don't quit it there and decide to continue then everything is
> unreadable and the FrontEnd refuses to close.
>
> Has anyone encounter the same problem?  Does anyone know how to solve
> it?
>
> Luis

It seems like a fontpath problem. In Fedora's X environment I have to
set the font paths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf like this (... means other
font paths):

Section "Files"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X:unscaled"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

You should see this show up upon 'xset -q' after restarting X. Use a
link at /usr/local/mathematica  to point to the Mathematica directory
or replace its real name in the FontPath.

Amaro