Re: Returning rules from functions inside a package context

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82473] Re: Returning rules from functions inside a package context
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:20:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 19, 4:58 am, Art <grenan... at gmail.com> wrote:
> The following question has been asked and answered in a variety of
> ways in this forum, but I am new to Mathematica and am still not sure what is
> best practice after doing Trace of various trivial statements for the
> past few hours.
>
> For example, I would like f[] below to return {a->1.}, not
> {A`Private`a->1.}.
>
> BeginPackage["A`"]
> f::usage = ""
> Begin["`Private`"]
>
> f[] := FindFit[{{0, 0}, {1, 1}}, a x, {a}, x]
>
> End[]
>
> EndPackage[]
>
> The use of Rule[] in different scoping constructs is confusing.
>
> Thanks.

First scope a and x appropriately, as others in this thread have
advised.

But then try strings; return the value with the definition f["a"] = 1,
or if you need rules, perhaps f["a"] = {"a" -> 1}.

I think it's prudent to keep the symbols to a minimum; they too easily
introduce difficult dependencies into larger packages.

Vince Virgilio