Re: Integrate question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82474] Re: Integrate question
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

You are right of course, I should have checked it "by hand" (as I did
in my original response) before writing it was not true in the Cauchy
principal value sense. But this actually confirms the other point I
made: that one cannot exclude the possibility that there is a sense
in which the answer 1/16 is "acceptable". However, and this is the
key point, the fact that such a sense exists is only a curiosity
unless this "sense" fits the intended purpose of this "integration".
This is why I am usually not very impressed when someone asks a
question to which, in the intended context, the answer is "no" and
then someone writes to point out that there is some other context in
which the answer is "yes". There is a countless number of situations
of this kind and it is easy to multiply examples. You can take almost
any theorem of elementary analysis and find that in some more
abstract context it is not valid. The first example that comes to my
mind (just as I am writing this): the familiar and even "obvious"
fact that a smooth function is continuous is not true in the context
of analysis on locally convex spaces more general than Banach spaces
(the Frolicher-Kriegl theory). But this is completely irrelevant to
anyone who never deals with anything other than finite dimensional
euclidean spaces. Similarly, the fact that this particular integral
(after the change of variable) has Cauchy Principal value 1/16 is
probably irrelevant - "probably" because the OP never told us what
sort of "integral" he had in mind.

Andrzej Kozlowski