Re: "Accumulate" in Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82818] Re: "Accumulate" in Mathematica 6
  • From: Thomas E Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 06:22:59 -0500 (EST)

Perhaps Wolfram will speak for themselves. My take is this:
Accumulating a list of numbers seems to be about 3 times faster  than
the alternative using FoldList. This application is very common,
perhaps justifying this new, apparently redundant specialized
function. And as you suggest, for the other applications, FoldList
[f,e1,g[e2,e3]] is equivalent to version 1's Accumulate[f,g
[e1,e2,e3]]. So version 6 seems to offer a decent compromise.

It also seems to me that one objective of version 6 is to broaden
appeal by lessening idiosyncrasies. To reintroduce version 1's
idiosyncratic take on "accumulate" would seem counterproductive.