How to make a Button inside Manipulate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81054] How to make a Button inside Manipulate?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 06:18:01 -0400 (EDT)

The basic problem I have is that I want to have a button, in which it is in
a fixed location, and only when clicked will the Manipulate 'expression'
gets evaluated.  The reason I want to do this, is that now I have number of
controls, and I do not want the function called everytime I adjust one
control, because I might have few to adjust before I am ready. So I want a
way to adjust/set the control to some values, and only then tell manipulate
to call the function with the current set of values in the control.

So, I figured I make a button, which I click on when I am ready to do this.

This is the first solution I came up with, using a flag

---------------- code------
Remove["Global`*"]
flag = True;
foo[x_] := Text[x]
res = 0;
m = Manipulate[If[flag, {flag = False; res = foo[x]}, res], {x, 0, 10}];
Column[{m, Button["Press ...", {flag = True; m}]}]
----- end code ------------------

The problem with the above is that the button is floating. So if foo[]
generates large output, the button will move lower. I wanted the button to
be fixed, above the controls themselves used by Manipulate.

It sounds simple, but I have no idea how to do it. I looked at 2 examples in
demonstration which uses buttons, but the code is too complicated for me to
see the pattern.

I tried this:

foo[x_] := Module[{}, Print["in foo x=", x]; Text[x]]

Manipulate[ Button["press to call foo...", foo[x]], {x, 0, 1}]

The problem with the above is that the button goes in the place where the
output from foo[] is supposed to go. I know foo[] is getting called OK, with
the updated x values, but the button is in the way for the any graphics
output to be displayed from foo[].

is there a simple solution to this?

thanks,
Nasser