Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81101] Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0
  • From: Alex Shvydky <ashv at lle.rochester.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 03:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Here is my side of this whole issue.

If you are/were in business of scientific software
you /would know of the concept of a legacy code.
We, here at the lab, have our own legacy code and
we do not expect to re-optimize it every time Intel
releases their new C/FORTRAN compiler, since it
works on the same code usually faster.
We do not have either time or desire to rewrite
and reoptimize our Mathematica routines that have
been working acceptably fast for the past several years.

Now, for a student that uses Mathematica for his/her
homework (as I did myself in the past),
I would understand that it really does not matter
too much if the new "improved" version is so slow that
you should go through literally each and every line of code
trying to optimize it to make it barely useful,
since any new couple-of-lines program can be rewritten
on the hourly basic.

BTW, the Graphics optimization that you mentioned
("wrapping a large number of Points or Lines in a single head") also
speeds up the V5.2 code, such that V5.2 code is still an order of
magnitude faster than the V6.0 code:

Timing[Show[Graphics[{Hue[0.7], AbsoluteThickness[0.1], Line[
         Flatten[Table[{{xar[[it, ir]], yar[[it, ir]]}, {
         xar[[it, ir + 1]], yar[[it,
             ir + 1]]}, {
               xar[[it + 1, ir + 1]], yar[[it + 1,
                    ir + 1]]}, {xar[[it + 1, ir]],
                 yar[[it + 1, ir]]}}, {ir, 1, mr - 1}, {
                   it, 1, mt - 1}], 2]]}], PlotRange -> {{-1, 1}, {0,
                     1}}, AspectRatio -> 1/2, Axes -> True, ImageSize ->
800]]

It takes 31.5 sec in V6.0 and 1.5 sec in V5.2.

Now, here is another trivial example:

Timing[
mr = 500;
mt = 500;
xar = Table[((ir - 1.)/(mr - 1.))*Cos[Pi*((it - 1.)/(mt - 1.))], {it, 1,
mt}, {ir, 1, mr}];
yar = Table[((ir - 1.)/(mr - 1.))*Sin[Pi*((it - 1.)/(mt - 1.))], {it, 1,
mt}, {ir, 1, mr}];
]

It takes 0.56 seconds in V5.2 and 4.703 seconds in V6.0 (Why???? What
now, is it the "front-end" again?)

But, hey, I guess it is OK, isn't it? It is not like we
have anything useful to do at the moment and can readily
to spend a couple of weeks rewriting the code.

Alex