Re: Aspect Ratio question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81304] Re: Aspect Ratio question
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:16:47 -0400 (EDT)

Steven Siew wrote:
> I'm really confused about the steps needed to calculate an Aspect
> Ratio for 2D ploting in mathematica.
>
> What I want is to plot a circle as a circle on the monitor and not as
> an ellipse.
>
> My monitor has a physical aspect ratio of  16:10 (aka widescreen
> monitor).
>
> My monitor has the resolution of  1280 X 800 pixels.
>
> What should I set the aspect ratio parameter to in Plot[] ?

AspectRatio -> Automatic will work (regardless of the physical
characteristics of the monitor used).

For instance,

Plot[Sqrt[1 - x^2], {x, -1, 1}, AspectRatio -> Automatic]

(Note that the default values for AspectRatio is 1/GoldenRatio, i.e.
0.618034..., ratio which is supposedly to be more aesthetically
pleasing, and so since the Antiquity.)

Regards,
--
Jean-Marc