Re: Epilog in ListLogPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81454] Re: Epilog in ListLogPlot
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

Bruce,

I'm not certain if you actually meant {7,Log[7]} for the red point.  If you
did, then the point appears because it lies in the plot range of
ListLogPlot.

ListLogPlot[X,
 PlotStyle -> {AbsolutePointSize[5]},
 Epilog -> {Red, Point@{7, Log[7]}},
 AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

But let's assume that you actually meant {7,7}. Then we run into problems.
Even if we specify PlotRange -> All we do not obtain the point.

ListLogPlot[X,
 PlotStyle -> {AbsolutePointSize[5]},
 Epilog -> {Red, Point@{7, 7}},
 PlotRange -> All]

And here is another strange thing. If we try to shift the AxesOrigin, so the
first point is off the axis, we lose the Axes altogether! Even if we add
Axes->True.

ListLogPlot[X,
 PlotStyle -> {AbsolutePointSize[5]},
 Epilog -> {Red, Point@{7, 7}},
 Axes -> True, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
 PlotRange -> All]

Such are the vargaries of working within the standard Mathematica graphics
paradigm.

If one uses DrawGraphics everything works as expected.

Needs["DrawGraphics6`DrawingMaster`"]

Draw2D[
 {AbsolutePointSize[5],
  ListLogDraw[X],
  Red, Point[{7, 7}]},
 AspectRatio -> 0.5,
 Axes -> True, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
 Ticks -> {Automatic,
   CustomTicks[Log, {0, 4, {1, 2, 5}, {3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9}}]}]

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/