Re: Simple Q: How to give computed results from NSolve to a new

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87273] Re: Simple Q: How to give computed results from NSolve to a new
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

loveinla at gmail.com wrote:

> I have solved a system of equations by NSolve. And for instance, it returns the results as
> Root={{x->1,y->2}}.
>
> And now I want to use the computed results, say x & y to define a new variable
> Z=x^2+sqrt(xy).
>
> How should I use computed x and y to define the new variable Z?

Assuming you use the correct syntax to define the variable z, you just
have to apply the transformation rules (i.e. "something" -> "something
else")via the replacement operator /. as in the following example:

In[1]:= sol = {{x -> 1, y -> 2}}

Out[1]= {{x -> 1, y -> 2}}

In[2]:= {x, y} /. sol[[1]]

Out[2]= {1, 2}