Re: RegionPlot color

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87327] Re: RegionPlot color
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:33:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 7, 6:20 pm, None None <worm9... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Mathematica 6 produces a region and fills it  with default color in
"RegionPlot" (drawing 2D inequality). I wish to use the color elsewhere in graphics applications. I could not recognize the color and the scheme associated with it. kindly guide me on locating this color among mathematica 6 color schemes.

I tried replicating this colour once (not very hard) and decided it
was too hard :) It's not exactly a shade of blue, although it's too
far from Nest[Lighter,Blue,4]:

Show@{RegionPlot[x < 0.5, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}],
  RegionPlot[x > 0.5, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
   PlotStyle -> Nest[Lighter, Blue, 4]]}

Which is, now that I look at it, the same as {Opacity[0.2],Blue}:

Show@{RegionPlot[x < 0.33, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}],
  RegionPlot[0.33 < x < 0.66, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
   PlotStyle -> {Opacity[0.2], Blue}],
  RegionPlot[x > 0.66, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
   PlotStyle -> Nest[Lighter, Blue, 4]]}

Usually I just apply my own colours :) but it would be nice to know
exactly which ones Mathematica uses. I suppose it wouldn't be hard just to
figure it out by inspecting the plot that get drawn by default and
extracting the colour information.

By the way, on the offchance you're outputting EPS graphics, this
would be a convenient time to shamelessly plug my "FakeRegionPlot"
package:
  <http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/7074/>

Cheers,
Will