Re: noob questions :)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87362] Re: noob questions :)
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at uni-freiburg.de>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:16:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Markus,

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, markus.mooslechner at chello.at wrote:

> hi everyone!
>
> first of all i would like to introduce myself. being an artist i am
> mainly engaged in the visualization of chaotic systems such as iterated
> function systems or strange attractors from experimental data. i
> consider
> myself a completely mathematica noob (willing to learn ::)) i got
> introduced to mathematica by a friend who works in the math institute at
> our local university (hence, that's where i spent most of my recent time
> ... lol). to get myself started with the project i have in mind i could
> use some help, which i have not found in the databases yet:
>
  > - how can i tell mathematica to import a three-column (x,y,z) txt file
> and do a 3d plot from the values. i already messed with the ListPlot3D
> command , unfortunately to no avail. the file containing the
> experimental data looks something like this:
> point,x,y,z
> 1,34,21,45
> 2,32,53,76
> 3,12,23,43
> 4,45,21,87
> 5,65,76,87
> etc

Import["test.t", "Table"][[All, {2, 3, 4}]]

for rest of question see further down.

> - how can i then tell mathematica to color certain values from this data list with a color from my choice? eg: color the values X "red" (X could be something like the mean value of the entire list)
>
> - is the a function that makes a list from an irrational number such as PI according to the above list format? something like 3.14159265...
> x,y,z
> 1,4,1
> 5,9,2
> 6,5,.
> .,.,.,.
> etc

d = 100;
data = Partition[ First[ RealDigits[ N[Pi, Floor[ d / 3 ] * 3] ] ], 3 ];

> looking really forward to get the hang of it and then get the program
> at my own place to integrate it in my work.
> looking forward to your help & thank you for your time :)
>
> markus
>
> www.humanchaos.net

For *unstructured* Plots look at:
http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Utlities/Graphics/UnstructuredPlotDocu.html

On how to get the connectivity between the points look at

http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Computational%20Geometry/Meshes/MesherUtilitiesDocu.html

and in 3D   (you need additional software for this)

http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Interfaces/QHullInterfaceDocu.html

http://www.qhull.org/

the code may look like:

d = 100;
data = Partition[ First[ RealDigits[ N[Pi, Floor[ d / 3 ] * 3] ] ],
    3 ];

Needs["Imtek`Interfaces`QHullInterface`"]

dp = imsDelaunay[data];

Needs["Imtek`UnstructuredPlot`"]

imsUnstructuredMeshPlot[data, dp, Boxed -> False]

hth,

oliver

Oliver Ruebenkoenig, <ruebenko AT uni-freiburg.de>