How does NETLink find MathKernel.exe?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87386] How does NETLink find MathKernel.exe?
  • From: Joe Eddy <jceddy at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

I have a program that uses .NET\Link to fire up a Mathematica Kernel
to do calculations.  The NETLink .dll sits next to the program's
executable.  On most of the machines I've run the program on,
everything runs fine, but on one of our machines, NETLink doesn't
automatically find the location of the MathKernel.exe file.  I am
having a heck of a time figuring out from the documentation how
NETLink usually finds the location of this executable...but maybe I'm
just blind.

The documentation says that NETLink will automatically use the most
recently installed instance of Mathematica, and I've seen reference in
some of the forums to a registry key specifying the location, but I
haven't been able to find which registry key that is by either
browsing forums or comparing the registry of the problem machine with
one that works.

So...how does NETLink find MathKernel.exe?