Re: Pattern problem: How to count from a long list of numbers all occurrences of 2 numbers next to each others?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87411] Re: [mg87393] Pattern problem: How to count from a long list of numbers all occurrences of 2 numbers next to each others?
  • From: "W Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:10:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Nasser,
This is not the most elegant solution, but it works:

Count[Thread[List[x, RotateLeft[x]]], {1, 3}]

which would be convenient to write as a function

CountMySeq[x_List, a_Integer, b_Integer] := Count[Thread[List[x,
RotateLeft[x]]], {a,b}]

To see what is going on here:
x = {1, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 1, 3, 3}

RotateLeft[x] is {3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 1, 3, 3, 1}

Thread[List[x,RotateLeft[x]]] is {{1,3}, {3,3}, etc]

--
W. Craig Carter