Re: Import .xlsx files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87454] Re: Import .xlsx files
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:42:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 9, 4:54 am, Szabolcs Horv=E1t <szhor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you export to CSV instead?  Excel uses an extremely complex
> format, not really suitable for data exchange (unless Excel is the only
> software used for analysing the data), while implementing a CSV reader
> is trivial in any general purpose language.  And Mathematica reads CSVs
> reliably out of the box.

I agree that Excel stinks as a data exchange format, but it is a
(sometimes unpleasant) fact of life.  The Open->Save As->CSV cycle
works (if you can find those commands at all in Excel 2007) for one or
two files, but I might get an entire folder of files to analyze.  I
already use Import[..., "XLS"] this way a lot.

I am also aware of Mathematica Link for Excel, which I believe is
compatible with the new formats, but I bounce between Windows and
MacOS X.  Link for Excel, or even the .NET technology behind Link for
Excel, does not exist on the Mac platform.

Although of course I welcome all comments and help from the general
participants in this users group, my posting is really directed at the
Wolfram developers who monitor this group, hoping to encourage them to
add .XLSX as an Import format.