FinancialData problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87520] FinancialData problems
  • From: Donald DuBois <donabc at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 06:57:47 -0400 (EDT)

One of the examples in the Doc Center

for FinancialData[]  is

FinancialData["^DJI", "Name"]

which should return the
English language name for the DJI (Dow Jones Industrials).

In the example in the Doc Center it returns

"DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE I".

which makes perfect sense.

This example is under (for the FinancialData function):

 Scope  | Names and Identifiers | Specifying Exchanges |
| Getting Names and Identifiers | Groups and Sectors   | Other Financial Instruments

But when I evaluate it I get

Missing["NotAvailable"]

instead of

"DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE I".

This has been happening since Sept. 2007 when I first
alerted Wolfram which they acknowledged was a bug.

There are plenty of other examples that don't work
as well with FinancialData  such as

FinancialData["FMAGX","Name"]

However, it still doesnâ??t work properly.
Have others noticed this problem?
Are there any clever work arounds?

Also, if I evaluate the Example in the Doc Center

Length[FinancialData["Exchanges"]]

this should give the "total number of exchanges
supported" [according to the Doc Center].

I get 66 instead of what the documentation says
which is 85.  Is this an indication that
Wolfram is pulling back from supporting FinancialData[] as originally conceived since the number of Exchanges that
are now available has gone from 85 to 66?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don