Re: Player Pro and Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87568] Re: Player Pro and Packages
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:32:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

I have built some sophisticated applications for PlayerPro so far for
some customers of mine.

The trick with Packages (though perhaps you know this and your problem
is different)--and reading in any files that have Mathematoca code in
them--is that they cannot  be in "human readable" form.  For Player
Pro to permit them to be read in  they must first be processed using
Encode.  This of course makes sense given the intended purpose of
Player Pro.  If one could just read in "normal" .m files then one
could have a text editor open and Player Pro open at the same time and
thereby one could, in effect, have a crude but fully functional
Mathematica available.  One could also create a Front End to
Mathematica in that way using something more sophisticated--like
Java.  So the restriction to Encoded files is essential to making
Player Pro a deployment platform and leaving Mathematica as the
development platform.

Note that if, for example, your application writes the values of
Mathematica parameters to disk for future use using Get, then it needs
to write them  also with Encode.

Also one can create files using DumpSave, and these too can be read in
using Player PRo.

Hope this helps,
--David
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...
Trial Version at:
http://scientificarts.com/worklife/