Re: A kernel, multiple notebooks, and Global?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87721] Re: A kernel, multiple notebooks, and Global?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 05:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:
> The broad question is then, how far can I go -- or what dangers may lurk
> -- in treating these multiple notebooks as essentially one unified
> notebook that just happens to be stored in multiple files and appear on
> screen in multiple windows?

I usually jump between several notebooks in the same session.  This
hasn't caused any trouble yet.  But you should know about a setting that
(I think) is new in Mathematica 6:

Check the menu item Evaluation -> Notebook's Default Context ->

With this setting it is possible to set up different contexts for each
notebook, or even each cell group.  So just make sure that this is set
to Global`.  (I think that this setting is saved with the notebook so be
careful when you receive notebooks from other people.)

Another possible problem:

In Mathematica 5 I used to scribble on the documentation pages, and
everything I evaluated there was available globally.  But it seems that
in Mathematica 6 the default setting for doc pages is "unique context to
each cell group", so be careful: what you evaluate in doc pages will be
put into a separate context.