DifferenitalD vs CapitalDifferenitalD

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87752] DifferenitalD vs CapitalDifferenitalD
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:51:19 -0400 (EDT)

The documentation for DifferenitalD states:

DifferenitalD[x] displays as  dx , where instead of d appears the
smybol entered as "esc   dd esc" (without the spaces). Yet when I
enter DifferentialD[x] and evaluate I get back DifferenitalD[x] (not
"esc dd esc x ").

The documentation for CapitalDifferentialD seems identical to that for
DifferentialD. Yet when I enter CapitalDifferentialD[x] I get  Dx
where D is the symbol entered as "esc DD esc".

Moreover, "esc dd esc x" evaluates to DifferenitalD[x] but "esc DD esc
x" evaluates to "esc DD esc x".

It is all so confusing I feel like giving up on Mathematica
typesetting altogether. Can anyone explain what is going on here?

This is with

$Version
"6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (March 13, 2008)"
$ReleaseNumber
2

Andrzej Kozlowski