Re: Re: A kernel, multiple notebooks, and Global?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87912] Re: [mg87882] Re: A kernel, multiple notebooks, and Global?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

I partly agree with the conclusions and I disagree with most of the
supporting argument. I agree that Mathematica has little chance to

>  "displace and/or replace many other current publication formats
> like TeX, PDF... many current media applications like reports,
> journal publications, presentations, dissertations, and so on.

My reasons, are however, completely different. Basically I believe
that at the research level there is not that much demand for the sort
of live computation capability that Mathematica offers. In my own case
the benefits of adding some "live content" to most of my papers would
amount to just one thing: they would become somewhat "cuter". I don't
think such material would make any difference to the the sort of
people who might choose to read such papers; they would still remain
incomprehensible to those to whom they are incomprehensible in their
present form, and they would not become any clearer to those who
understand them now. So the benefits would be marginal. However, live
contents is of huge benefit in undergraduate  teaching in practically
every respect. But this is not journal level staff.

I completely disagree with the part about Mathematica's complexity. On
the contrary, if we discount the mathematical and algorithmic aspects
of the program (which are very complex, but no more in Mathematica
than in any other CAS) they we are left with a basic core language
that has remained largely stable as it expanded its scope to include
typesetting, live graphics etc, interface building. Of course many
functions have been added, but I don't consider this as an increase in
complexity (they tend to make using the language simpler). Fundamental
changes in syntax would represent a serious increase in complexity and
there have been very few of these over the many years of Mathemaitca's
existence. Indeed, it is this underlying simplicity that made the
rapid expansion of the scope of the Mathematica language possible.

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 19 Apr 2008, at 16:35, AES wrote:

> [...]
>> is to it.
>>
>> If you organize your notebooks using Sections (and I wonder if using
>> multiple notebooks is a substitute for using Sectional organization
>> within a
>> notebook?), then you can initially put
>> your routines in a Routines Section. The notebook does not have to be
>> 'visually large' because the Routines Section can usually be closed
>> up.
>> Other things should also be in Sections. (When I'm working on a
>> particular
>> derivation of development I put it in its own Section. If I don't
>> especially
>> like it or get stuck I usually mark it as Try 1, close it up, copy
>> and paste
>> it and work on a Try 2. When I finally get something I like I throw
>> all the
>> false steps away.) When you develop a routine in a
>> working notebook, move it to the Routines Section and write a usage
>> message
>> for it and make it an Initialization cell. If you start a new working
>> notebook, copy the Routines Section over. At some point, you will be
>> convinced that some of the routines are in good shape for general
>> use. Then
>> move them to your OpticalFiber package. Then you will have one simple
>> working structure. A single package and working notebooks that load
>> the
>> package. You or your readers don't have to look at any of the
>> package code
>> anymore. You may still have some things in your Routines Sections
>> that
>> haven't yet made it to the package.
>>
>> Documentation is another question, but again, if you have worked
>> out good
>> routines and methods they are really worth something to other
>> people and
>> deserve to be documented. (And in any case, I find that I am always
>> forgetting how some of my own routines work and have to refer to my
>> own
>> documentation!) With a little cleverness the documentation can also
>> serve as
>> a set of test cases if you make changes to your routine. Working on
>> documentation also helps to perfect a routine. Sometimes if it is
>> difficult
>> to explain and illustrate a routine one might wonder about it basic
>> design.
>> It's true that this takes time, but it's a focused and productive
>> use of
>> one's time.
>>
>> David Reiss has put up a good introduction to creating Version 6
>> documentation.
>>
>> http://www.scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/
>>
>> and the Workbench application for documentation is coming along.
>>
>> Rule Number 2: Most users of Mathematica are pretty capable people.
>> Turn
>> your hard work into permanently useful and active knowledge for

--Apple-Mail-6-516361386

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I partly agree with the =
conclusions and I disagree with most of the supporting argument. I agree =
type="cite">&nbsp;"displace&nbsp;and/or replace many other current =
publication formats like TeX, PDF...&nbsp;many&nbsp;<font =
class="Apple-style-span" color="#000000">current media applications =
like reports, journal publications,&nbsp;presentations, dissertations, =
however,&nbsp;completely&nbsp;different. Basically I believe that at the =
research level there is not that much demand for the sort of live =
computation capability that Mathematica offers. In my own case the =
benefits of adding some "live content" to most of my papers would amount =
to just one thing: they would become somewhat "cuter". I don't think =
such material would make any difference to the the sort of people who =
might choose to read such papers; they would still =
remain&nbsp;incomprehensible&nbsp;to those to whom they =
are&nbsp;incomprehensible&nbsp;in their present form, and they would not =
become any clearer to those who understand them now. So the benefits =
would be marginal. However, live contents is of huge benefit in =
undergraduate &nbsp;teaching in practically every respect. But this is =
with the part about Mathematica's complexity. On the contrary, if we =
discount the mathematical and algorithmic aspects of the program (which =
are very complex, but no more in Mathematica than in any other CAS) they =
we are left with a basic core language that has remained largely stable =
as it expanded its scope to include typesetting, live graphics etc, =
interface building. Of course many functions have been added, but I =
don't consider this as an increase in complexity (they tend to make =
using the language simpler). Fundamental changes in syntax would =
represent a serious increase in complexity and there have been very few =
of these over the many years of Mathemaitca's existence. Indeed, it is =
this underlying simplicity that made the rapid expansion of the scope of =
2008, at 16:35, AES wrote:</div><br><blockquote =
(appreciated) response, as appended <br>below for completeness, by =
interpolating a lot of comments into your <br>message (always find =
lengthy posts like that, with interpolated replies, <br>hard to read, in =
fact); but will instead top-post a few more general <br>responses as =
AS A <br>LIMITED MEANS OF COMMUNICATION TO SMALL AND SPECIALIZED =
all to distributing notebooks I've created <br>-- even interactive ones =
-- to colleagues, or pretty much any one who <br>wants them. &nbsp;In =
fact, I've mentioned the availability of notebooks in a <br>few journal =
publications, and gotten a few email requests for some of <br>them as a =
result. &nbsp;Can be a useful means of technical communication, in <br>a =
UNIVERSAL OR EVEN VERY <br>WIDESPREAD MEDIUM OF COMMUNICATION, EVEN FOR =
THAT TYPE OF <br>AUDIENCES -- **AND THE VERY ATTEMPT TO EXPAND =
MATHEMATICA<br>FOR THAT PURPOSE IS DAMAGING TO MATHEMATICA =
ITSELF**<br><br>I am totally unsupportive of the proposition that =
Mathematica can become <br>a universal, or even very widespread, =
publication medium, where I use <br>"become universal" to mean that =
Mathematica notebooks will displace <br>and/or replace many other =
current publication formats like TeX, PDF, or <br>even Word or =
PowerPoint (as much as I loathe Microsoft!), for many <br>current media =
applications like reports, journal publications, <br>presentations, =
dissertations, and so on.<br><br>In fact, I think the attempt to expand =
Mathematica to accomplish this is <br>not just misguided but actively =
damaging, to Mathematica and to its <br>users. &nbsp;Reasons for this =
include:<br><br>a) &nbsp;I view Mathematica as a very sophisticated =
*computational* tool, and <br>secondarily as a similarly sophisticated =
graphical and textual *display* <br>for outputting its computed results =
-- and I consider it to be of high <br>quality and highly successful at =
both of these tasks. &nbsp;<br><br>But, viewed just as a high-grade and =
sophisticated computational tool, <br>Mathematica is already (and =
unavoidably) enormously large, enormously <br>complex, with complex =
syntax, and many complex internal interactions -- <br>which means a =
large learning curve, and a huge documentation, just to do <br>the =
computational task. &nbsp;<br><br>Don't try to tell me about how a =
novice can type in and evaluate <br>a=2;b=3;c=a+b;Plot[c x, =
{x,0,5}] the first time they sit down in front <br>of it. &nbsp;That's =
certainly true, but as soon as you get to any significant <br>level of =
computational sophistication, there's a _large_ learning curve, <br>and =
many ways to go wrong in using what you've learned -- and a very =
v5, each time I leaned some new <br>coding trick, or got one of the more =
sophisticated commands to work, I <br>would toss a brief template and =
explanation into my own personal "notes" <br>notebook, which was =
permanently accessible by being locked at the bottom <br>of the "Open =
Recent" menu. &nbsp;It's now 0.5 MB in size -- and of course <br>made =
more or less useless by 6.0.]<br><br>b) &nbsp;Add to this the graphic =
and textual (and animation) display <br>capabilities that we all want to =
have from Mathematica, not as <br>publication quality output but just as =
useful output. &nbsp;Adding these <br>display capabilities may not =
exactly double the size and complexity of <br>Mathematica, and of the =
learning curve, and of the documentation, and of <br>the "remembering =
task" associated with it -- but doing so very <br>substantially =
&nbsp;expands all of these aspects, as well as introducing all <br>the =
complexities of interactions between the output routines and the =
Table, can leave the _computational_ <br>state of Mathematica different =
from what it was before you produced this <br>output, right? &nbsp;And =
Plot and Table change it in _different_ ways. &nbsp;Not <br>complaining =
about this -- just noting it.]<br><br>c) &nbsp;So, you're proposing to =
add publication-quality output and <br>presentation quality capabilities =
to the Mathematica core -- meaning <br>adding all the added complexity =
of the program, the added syntax, the <br>added learning curve, the =
added documentation, and the added <br>"remembering task" associated =
with this function on top of the <br>computational and display =
complexities already present.<br><br>Forget it! &nbsp;***Doing this is =
simply going to seriously damage the <br>utility -- and commercial value =
of Mathematica for its primary <br>computational and display functions, =
and for its "ordinary users"***.<br><br>d) &nbsp;And, from what I know =
of journal publishing, commercial and by <br>professional societies, =
NOTEBOOK PARADIGM IS FINE, FOR THOSE WHO LIKE <br>IT -- WHICH I THINK =
CAN INCLUDE A LOT OF "ORDINARY USERS"<br><br>In arguing this, some =
the multiple notebook paradigm, you also have to devise =
is that all the notebooks that are <br>needed for a given project are =
right there, visible and editable, in the <br>folder (or a subfolder) =
need ModuleNotebooks a, c and f. But for<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">WorkingNotebookB you need ModuleNotebooks a, b, and c. =
your own system, which is not the standard Mathematica =
"want to re-use some part") of <br>notebooks a or c from project A in =
project B, I just copy 'em over to <br>the Project B folder! (Rule #N -- =
Disk space is cheap!).<br><br>And once there, I can modify them for =
project B &nbsp;-- without screwing up <br>the copies left back in the =
project A folder.<br><br>And nothing I do will be modifying Mathematica =
itself -- don't intend to <br>get into that (I'm after max simplicity, =
use your notebooks not only have to learn the =
might be doing other things as well) but they also =
notebooks as written (i.e., <br>to produce further results from them) is =
start a standard copy of <br>Mathematica fresh, open my notebooks, and =
run 'em. &nbsp;<br><br>If they've modified their copy of Mathematica =
itself to be non-standard <br>in some way, well, they've produced =
problems that may occur however<br><br>If they want to merge my =
notebooks into some notebooks of theirs, well, <br>I'm afraid this is =
"do this at your own risk situation" -- and I've not <br>made it more =
devise your own system, you could have =
can't agree. &nbsp;There are not a lot of complex steps involved in =
exact correct <br>steps out of the documentation, learning the =
vocabulary, avoiding <br>missteps, and remembering these steps after a =
time lag, are all <br>frustrating and =
notebooks using Sections (and I wonder if =
substitute for using Sectional organization within =
a Routines Section. The notebook does not have to =
don't like long notebooks -- navigating through them is awkward and =
tedious and <br>awkward also. &nbsp;Since it makes no difference in =
functionality, why don't <br>I put the Routines Section in a separate =
notebook, meaning a separate <br>window -- which, on a Mac, I can =
instantaneously, with a single mouse <br>click or key command, fold down =
into the Dock, or WindowShade (still <br>functional), and equally =
now -- and quite a while beyond that.<br><br>Over and out, =
&nbsp;&nbsp;AES<br><br>==================
=====================<br>In =
article &lt;<a =
href="mailto:fu9fps$cbb$1 at smc.vnet.net">fu9fps$cbb$1 at smc.vnet.net</a>>,<=
br> "David Park" &lt;<a =
href="mailto:djmpark at comcast.net">djmpark at comcast.net</a>> =
put in a pitch for using the standard Mathematica =
go further and learn something about =
documentation.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
the unstated assumptions here is that no one else is going =
because all of the pertinent results will be<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">Exported or copied out into non-Mathematica documents =
larger public. In that case why not organize the =
seems most convenient to you?<br></blockquote><blockquote =
assumption that we can make for certain is that you have =
experience in optical fibers. You also have done, =
organizing the theory and calculation methods =
valuable stuff! So why not make it available to others =
all of its advantages of dynamics and<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">interactivity. In addition to the final results, if you =
algorithms, calculation and display routines these are valuable. =
other people as Mathematica packages?<br></blockquote><blockquote =
the multiple notebook paradigm, you also have to devise =
the notebooks. You have to remember that for<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">WorkingNotebookA you need ModuleNotebooks a, c and f. But =
ModuleNotebooks a, b, and c. Pretty soon you =
which is not the standard Mathematica =
your notebooks not only have to learn the =
might be doing other things as well) but they also =
system.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
WRI has put a lot of thought into designing a user =
well. Be very wary of interposing your own =
interface.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
took you to devise your own system, you could have =
system. It is really not that difficult. A =
simple particular form of notebook with =
save it as an Auto Generated Package and that is all =
 type="cite">If you organize your notebooks using Sections (and I =
notebooks is a substitute for using Sectional organization within =
a Routines Section. The notebook does not have to =
the Routines Section can usually be closed =
be in Sections. (When I'm working on a =
development I put it in its own Section. If I don't =
stuck I usually mark it as Try 1, close it up, copy and =
When I finally get something I like I throw all =
you develop a routine in a<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">working notebook, move it to the Routines Section and =
and make it an Initialization cell. If you start a new =
Routines Section over. At some point, you will =
routines are in good shape for general use. =
OpticalFiber package. Then you will have one =
single package and working notebooks that load =
readers don't have to look at any of the package =
have some things in your Routines Sections =
the package.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
is another question, but again, if you have worked out =
are really worth something to other people =
(And in any case, I find that I am always<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">forgetting how some of my own routines work and have to =
With a little cleverness the documentation can also serve =
make changes to your routine. Working on<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">documentation also helps to perfect a routine. Sometimes =
and illustrate a routine one might wonder about it basic =
takes time, but it's a focused and productive use =
time.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
put up a good introduction to creating Version =
6<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type="cite">documentation.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
href="http://www.scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/";>http://www.scie=
Workbench application for documentation is coming =
along.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
Most users of Mathematica are pretty capable people. =
permanently useful and active knowledge for yourself =
people.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
href="mailto:djmpark at comcast.net">djmpark at comcast.net</a><br></blockquot=
e><blockquote type="cite"><a =
href="http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/";>http://home.comcast.net/~djmpar=