Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87963] Re: [mg87907] Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:27:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:50:52 -0400 (EDT), AES wrote:
> I've just executed a test cell containing
>
> Print[Plot[---]];
> Print["Some text\n", Plot[---]];
>
> (same simple plot in both lines; objective of 2nd line being to get the
> text and the plot -- eventually several plots -- into the same output
> cell)
>
> Result from first line is expected plot; result from second line is a
> miniaturized plot about 1/4 the size of the first one.
>
> *  This is sensible or useful?
>
> *  This is what a novice user should expect as consistent
> and reasonable behavior from the above commands?
>
> (Print[Plot] doesn't do the same thing with a given Plot
> as does Print[----, Plot[], ----] ???)
>
> *  This is documented --or better, warned about -- where?
>
> (since it looks like I'll have to, once again, step aside from
> attempting to accomplish anything useful with 6.0 and
> burn up more time digging into its arcane documentation,
> trying to understand this.  Apologies for the sarcasm --
> but that's the way it feels.)

 From the documentation of ImageSize...

> Graphics with ImageSize->Automatic are rendered smaller when they appear
> in lists or grids, and even smaller when they appear in text-like
> constructs.

If you like the default size, you can specify ImageSize->Medium in your plots.
The reason for this behavior is that since, in v6, graphics are now first class
output objects rather than mere side effects, changing the automatic size based
upon context can make it easier to work with them.  Imagine, for example,
outputting a list or a grid of default-sized graphics and trying to get an idea
for the totality of the output while each graphic is still big enough to compete
for a standalone-sized portion of the screen.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group