Re: Problems to find the local extrema of an InterpolatingFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88001] Re: Problems to find the local extrema of an InterpolatingFunction
  • From: Modeler <eabad at ulb.ac.be>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:38:10 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks a lot to everybody that replied to my previous message, actually I ended up using Ted Ersek's routine for root search, which seemed the most straightforward solution to me. I am still having minor problems, as it seems to miss some roots in some cases (probably due to precision problems), but I am confident I'll be able to circumvent these difficulties.

As an unexperienced mathematica user,
now I am just wondering how I can get full information on the explicit form of piecewise polynomials generated by Interpolation[] from a given set of points. What kind of algorithm does Interpolation use? I know e.g. that the default interpolation order is 3, but I'd like to know if it's a natural spline or what exactly is the default output.