installing Playe rPro killed using Mathematica itself: BEWARE!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88019] installing Playe rPro killed using Mathematica itself: BEWARE!
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:26:41 -0400 (EDT)

With an existing installation of Mathematica 6.0.2 under Windows, I just
installed Player Pro.  The result: if I start Mathematica itself and
open a new notebook there, I am prohibited from typing any and all input.

This sort of thing is intolerable!  An utterly time-frittering aggravation.

I suspect that the scenario involved here was not tested by WRI:  My
mathpass for Mathematica itself is in the Licensing subdirectory of my
USERBASE directory, which is the same as my BASE directory (both set by
Windows environment variables MATHEMATICA_BASE and MATHEMATICA_USERBASE).

This is hardly the first time I have run into trouble with multiple
passwords from multiple Wolfram Research products.  It is something they
have just not yet gotten right.  Beware!

What I did as a temporary fix was to use my Windows backup program to
restore my pre-existing mathpass file.  Now regular Mathematica works.
But of course Player Pro does not.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305