Re: ReplacePart and Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88159] Re: ReplacePart and Compile
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs Horvát wrote:
> Michael Weyrauch wrote:
>> (More generally: Could it be annotated in the documentation, which
>> functions can be compiled and which functions cannot be compiled. For me
>> it is always an adventure to figure out a compiled version of a routine
>> I need, because of this lack of basic information.)
>>

> I agree, it is quite frustrating that this is not documented.  The only
> doc page I could find about this is here:
>
> http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/kernel/Symbols/System/Compile.html
>
> (Note that this is for Mathematica 3, not Mathematica 6.)
>
> Unfortunately it seems that WRI is not putting too much effort into
> developing Compile[] any more.  It is not being taught to compile new
> functions, and its bugs are not fixed.

Perhaps it was a bit too harsh to say that "its bugs are not being
fixed".  To be fair (and to avoid flames), I will note that this is the
particular problem that I know about:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/40d55fa35605b76d/fcbef0b29723ef15

Of course these kinds of problems are probably difficult to avoid,
because the solution involves keeping track of which functions have side
effects and which don't.