Common Multiple Value Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88209] Common Multiple Value Question
  • From: "Lea Rebanks" <lrebanks at netvigator.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 04:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

I am trying to solve this Common Multiple Value Question based on 2
sequences of values...
This is both a Math question & also a question on how to apply this problem
to Mathematica.
However, please note I am trying to find BOTH Common Multiple Value, of each
element in both lists AND maintaining the same proportion in the first list
of elements.

I will pose this problem in 2 ways.
(i) Fractional sequence of values.
(ii) Numerical sequence of values.
Actually they are the same question, but I would like to be able to solve
this in both the fractional & numerical form.
(... And also solving this without using LCM - Lowest Common Multiple
function .... as this is part of a bigger calculation & I will be using
algebra.)

(i) Fractional sequence of values - 1 pair. 3 elements in each.
list1={2/3,2/3+1,2/3+2}
list2={3/4,3/4+1,3/4+2}
{2/3,5/3,8/3}
{3/4,7/4,11/4}

(ii) Numerical sequence of values - 1 pair. 3 elements in each.
list3={2,5,8}
list4={3,7,11}
{2,5,8}
{3,7,11}

 ( Apologies if this question is so simple... I have been trying to figure
this out for a number of days ...)

Many thanks for any help or advice. Greatly appreciated.
Best regards ... Lea Rebanks.