Re: Common Multiple Value Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88226] Re: Common Multiple Value Question
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:47:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lea,

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

You have two integer sequences, e.g. {a1,a2,a3} and {b1,b2,b3} and you

want a sequence {c1,c2,c3} so that ai and bi divide ci, ci need not be

the LCM and c1:c2:c3 == a1:a2:a3. This can be done by noting that a

possible CM is simply the product. We then only have to deal with

c1:c2:c3 == a1:a2:a3. This can be achieved by mutiplying a1 by b2 b3, a2

by b3 b1 .. This finally gives {a1,a2,a3} b1 b2 b3:

In mathematica this may be written by:

lista={a1,a2,a3}; listb={b1,b2,b3};

listc= lista Times@@ listb

For rational number you must first define what a multiple of a number

is. For every rational r1 besides zero there is another one r2 so that

the product is a given r3. That is every number is a multiple of every

number (besides zero).

hope this the not right answer to the wrong question, Daniel