NDSolve::mconly in algebraic differential equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91145] NDSolve::mconly in algebraic differential equations
  • From: "Adel Elsabbagh" <aelsabbagh at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:41:10 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathematica Experts,

I have a bunch of algebraic differential equations. Right now they are 12
first order differential equations in 12 time dependent variables, but in
the future they can be a little bit more. The coefficients are complex
numbers. When I try to integrate them numerically in time, I get the
following error:

NDSolve::mconly: For the method IDA, only machine real code is available.
Unable to continue with complex values or beyond floating-point exceptions.

In the NDSolve documentation though it says:
The differential equations in NDSolve can involve complex numbers.

I tried other methods but I get another error urging me to set the method to
Automatic.

Is Mathematica able to solve algebraic differential equations? How?

Kind regards,

--
Adel Elsabbagh
http://www.svlab-asu.com/aelsabbagh.html