Re: RE: Re: Workaround for an unexpected behavior of Sum

Actually, you can also do that with the Module approach, which I think
is simpler than yours, and the only minor nuisance is having to set a
global flag. Here is the standard way to do this:

Unprotect[Sum];
sumFlag = True;

Sum[sumand_, before___, {dummyindex_, rest___}, after___] :=
  Block[{sumFlag = False},
    Module[{dummyindex}, Sum[sumand, before, {dummyindex, rest},
after]]] /;
   sumFlag === True
Protect[sumFlag];

j = 7;
Sum[j^2, {j, 1, n}]
(1/6)*n*(n + 1)*(2*n + 1)

Sum[f[j], {j, 1, n}]
Sum[f[j$550], {j$550, 1, n}]

Note that in the case of Product you get somewhat different behavior
from the case of Sum:

Product[j^2, {j, 1, n}]
49^n

Product[f[j], {j, 1, n}]
During evaluation of In[15]:= General::ivar:7 is not a valid variable.

During evaluation of In[15]:= General::ivar:7 is not a valid variable.

Product[f[7], {j, 1, n}]

This confirms that the behavior of Sum is a bug.

Andrzej Kozlowski