memory question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91198] memory question
  • From: Jan Schmedes <jasch at crustal.ucsb.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:45:23 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group,

I am running Mathematica 6.0.3 on a Mac Pro with 4 Gig memory. I have
fortran binary files that I can read in correctly (numbers of order
10^6) using Import[...,"Real32"]. But for larger problems, the size
of the binary file is about 80 Mb, all memory is used (if i hit top,
VSIZE is 17G)  and only 2% of the CPU are used, so it basically can
not handle the file. Is there a way to decrease the precision at
which the file is read in, for my purpose the precision does not have
to be very high?

Thank you

Jan