When will there be *offical* support for Mathematica on Solaris x86

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91219] When will there be *offical* support for Mathematica on Solaris x86
  • From: Karen Bindash <KarenBindash at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:49:26 -0400 (EDT)

Someone posted a workaround in November 2007 which allowed Mathematica
6 to run on Solaris 86 with an Intel CPU. In December 2007  Schoeller
Porter  of Wolfram Research stated on sci.math.symbolic:

"Although the Mathematica Platform Availability page specifically
states that only AMD processors are supported on Solaris x86, our
intent is to support all systems running on Sun hardware regardless of
whether those systems are based on AMD, Intel, or SPARC processors.
And we will work toward that end. "

I've asked Wolfram before when official support is coming, but never
managed to get any useful  answer. Anybody here know anything solid?
It's 8 or 9 months after these posts and I've not managed to get a
more conclusive answer.

On another, but related point, does anyone know when the next update
for Mathematica on Unix systems will occur? I was told by support that
there is no plan to issue 6.0.3 on Solaris.
With no support for Intel CPUs on Solaris x86 and no 6.0.3 update on
Solaris, it's very easy to conclude Wolfram Research do not take Unix
support too seriously. This is a bit annoying given they charge a
hefty premium for it.