Re: Suggestions for selling a copy of Mathematica V6 wanted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91236] Re: Suggestions for selling a copy of Mathematica V6 wanted
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 06:05:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 24, 2:53 am, Bob F <deepyog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an extra copy of Mathematica V6 for Windows that I am not using
> and that still has over 6 months of Premier Service support left that
> will allow unlimited phone and e-mail support and free upgrades (only
> for US and Canada customers) and all the other benefits of support.
> Does anyone have any suggestions where I might try to sell it (other
> than eBay) or know of someone who might be in the market? Since this
> is a professional license (aka Standard), and not a student or
> academic version, there is no problem in selling and transferring the
> license to someone else. This is a US and Canada only version, so cant
> export it or sell it anywhere else.
>
> Wolfram's only stipulations are that I just have to give all the
> copies of the software and other elements I have to the buyer and
> write a letter certifying I have deleted the licensed copy I had
> installed and the buyer has to agree to accept all the terms and
> conditions of the license agreement.
>
> This would be a good buy for someone who would like to save a lot off
> the list price of a new copy, so if you know of someone in the market,
> please let them know and pass this along to them.
>
> I hope this doesn't cause a bru-ha-ha, so if this topic offends
> anyone, I apologize. Thanks for your help...
>
> [Normally, I do not permit attempted sales of Mathematica copies
> in this group, but I realized that there has never an attempt
> to point people to places to correctly sell copies they might
> have.  Therefore, once Bob's question is answered, I will have
> information I can pass on to others who post similar questions. -- modera=
tor]

> -Bob

Sorry, but this sold about a week ago, so it is no longer available
from me. I got only one inquiry a couple of days after I posted this
question looking for suggestions, and he ended up buying this after he
verified it was a legit license. Then got two more in the last couple
of days, so thought I would put something here, so everyone knew that
it was no longer available. I never did hear one comment from anyone
about any suggestions as to where something like this could be sold,
so that question never did get resolved.

The Professional version of Mathematica is indeed transferable (but am
not sure about the student or academic) -- just read paragraph d of
the Mathematica License Agreement's "Permitted Uses" section about how
to transfer a license, and verify with Wolfram that the license is the
proper "Use Class", and follow the steps. I suppose the difficult part
is being able to verify that the license in question is a legit copy,
and we were able to do it by having the buyer call the Wolfram sales
person I bought it from and they verified it, so the buyer was
satisfied and I didn't need to give out the license number before I
received payment.

Anyway, thanks to the moderator for trying to establish some kind of
mechanism for people to ask for suggestions on what to do with  a no-
longer-used copy of Mathematica.

-Bob