very long dendrogram

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91422] very long dendrogram
  • From: Paul Slater <slater at kitp.ucsb.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 04:15:09 -0400 (EDT)

I have produced a hierarchical clustering
of 3,107 U. S. counties based on 1995-2000
migration flows between the counties using a certain non-standard
methodology
(http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.1550). I have been able to
convert the results into a cluster object for use by
the `Hierarchical Clustering" package of Mathematica.

However, if I try to produce the full (very long)
dendrogram or even use the command, say,
TruncateDendrogram->{1,25}], , using say
Orientation->Right, the result is
not readable, being "crammed" into a small space.
So, I would like to expand this space by several orders.

If this problem can be overcome, I would also
like to be able to eventually  label the leaves of the dendrogram
by the names of the counties. But
"For  Cluster objects, the  LeafLabels option
can take a function but not a list or  Automatic,
as there is no unambiguous mapping between
the labels and data points in a  Cluster object."
So, I am not sure how to proceed in this regard.

Paul B. Slater