Re: Installing package documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91438] Re: Installing package documentation
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 05:57:06 -0400 (EDT)

John Jowett wrote:
> Hello,
>      While learning how to get documentation for my own packages to
> show up in the Mathematica 6 Documentation Center,  I came across
> something that may puzzle other people. Perhaps it's worth a posting:
>
> Although I prepared the documentation of the package complete with
> pacletinfo.m file, etc., I found that it did now show up in the
> "Installed Add0Ons" page of the Documentation Center.  This turned out
> to be because I installed the packages, not in $BaseDirectory/
> Applications or  $UserBaseDirectory/Applications, but in another
> directory that is prepended to the value of $Path on kernel startup
> (by my kernel init.m file).   I do this because I share the packages
> with colleagues and it saves them the trouble of re-installing when I
> make small updates (one can discuss whether this is good practice or
> not ...).
>
> Anyway, it turns out that there is a global option for the Front End
> called AddOnHelpPath that seems to control the path searched.  However
> its help page says
>
> "This function has not been fully integrated into the long-term
> Mathematica system, and is subject to change"
>
> So now I am trying to decide whether to tell my colleagues to change
> this or to switch to distributing packages for them to install on
> their own computers.
>
> John Jowett

Do you know about the environment variables MATHEMATICA_BASE and
MATHEMATICA_USERBASE which can be set on most (all?) platforms? It might
be an alternative to changing the various $*Path variables at the right
places... Of course your colleages would need to change that variable or
use a special start-script for mathematica which sets that variable.

hth,

albert