MASH: Mathematica Scripting Hack

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91611] MASH: Mathematica Scripting Hack
  • From: "dreeves at gmail.com" <dreeves at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

Nine years ago I proposed a command line option to the kernel, -
script, that would let you use mathematica like perl or python or ruby
or any scripting language.  Ie, you could have a standalone
mathematica program that could be run from the command line with
command line arguments and process stdin and write to stderr and
stdout and thus be used in a pipeline with other programs or be called
as a simple system call from other languages.

I wrote a mathlink program called MASH that gave mathematica this
functionality in the meantime.  Mathematica is getting close but the
dream of math -script is still unrealized.  Now, however, instead of a
whole mathlink program, the following perl script suffices, which I
humbly offer to the community:

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/mash/mash.pl

And here's a sample mathematica script:

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/mash/shuffle.m

Thanks to everyone who expressed their appreciation for the original
MASH.  I think you'll find this incarnation much better.

Daniel Reeves

--
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves  - -  search://"Daniel Reeves"

Latest probabilities from intrade...
  40.2%  McCain becomes president (last trade 20:13 THU)
  60.8%  Obama becomes president (last trade 20:06 THU)
  20.0%  US recession in 2008 (last trade 18:42 THU)
  17.5%  Overt air strike against Iran in '08 (last trade 19:26 THU)