Debugger

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91637] Debugger
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:51:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I was trying to use the new Debugger and I do not find it very obvious

to use. Astonishingly  I could not find any descent manual or

description. Here are some quirks I encoutered:

To begin with, on the Debugger palette there are two commands:

Step In

Step In to Body

However, under Menu/Evaluation/DebuggerControl one only finds one

step-in command. What does the second one do?

I started small:

f[x_]:=x^2;

f[2]

I set a breakPoint at f[2] and evaluated the whole thing. The brakpoint

is ignored. Then I added a semicolon: f[2]; selected this and defined it

as a breakpoint. This is also ignored. By trial and error I found that

one has to select the statement without the seimicolon before defining

the breakpoint. Can somebody make senes out of this?

I then made the function a little mode complex:

f[x_]:=(t=x;x^2);

f[2]

If I select t=x; and define a breakpoint, the selection is automatically

enlarged to the whole block inside the brackets. By selecting only t=x,

this does not happen. Otherwise things work as expected.

Next I defined a watch point "t" and wrote Dynamic[t]. In a separate

cell I the evaluated:

t=3;

t=4;

This worked as expected, also:

f[x_]:=t=x;

f[3];

f[4];

However, if I made t a local variable:

f[x_]:=Module[{t},t=x];

f[3];

f[4];

the watchpoint did nor work anymore, the program did not halt.

Now I fed up and I think I am wasting my time. It may be that I really

miss something, but just now it looks to me like the Debugger is an

early beta version and should not be part of a not exactly cheap

commercial program!

Daniel

--

Daniel Huber

Metrohm Ltd.

Oberdorfstr. 68

CH-9100 Herisau

Tel. +41 71 353 8585, Fax +41 71 353 8907

E-Mail:<mailto:dh at metrohm.com>

Internet:<http://www.metrohm.com>