Re: InstallJava::fail

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94013] Re: InstallJava::fail
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:40:38 -0500 (EST)

Schaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Each time I start Mathematica 6 and sometimes when displaying graphics,
> I get the error message "JLink`InstallJava::fail: A link to the Java
> runtime could not be established."
>

> But I have Java 6 update 10 installed.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
>
> joerg

Mathematica uses its own copy of Java (version 6 uses Java 5) - so the
version you have loaded externally is irrelevant.

I do remember someone else reporting something similar, and it turned
out to be a clash with other software on their machine. Try temporarily
disabling your virus scanner and see if the problem goes away.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk