Mathematica computes a different answer in version 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94017] Mathematica computes a different answer in version 7
  • From: Jack Dyson <jackdyson31 at libero.it>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:41:21 -0500 (EST)

Hello again all,

This is quite a serious difficulty because along with the mail about
Fourier transforms this seems to be another area where Mathematica 7 is giving a
different answer.

I have been testing things all day and I have found that the integral
agrees with Mathematica 6 when the limits are (0,Infinity) in both.

This is unfortunate as we pay a lot for Mathematica and every new
version seems to be acting up in some way - it wastes productive time...

I hope its me who is making the mistake and not Mathematica 7.

Cheers and I hope somebody might have a clue as to whats going on with
this integral ... maybe Mathematica 7 uses a new integration path ? but still a
negative gamma function in the answer does not allow the expression to
evaluate without complex infinities ... so I have to use Mathematica 6
and Mathematica 5 to check things every time !

Jack