Re: Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94064] Re: Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData
  • From: "sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:13:01 -0500 (EST)

You're right here.

The "Shape" properties of The Netherlands falls woefully short. Ik
looks a bit like a 1930 map or so. The "FullPolygon" data set is
somewhat better, with the large Waddenzee islands present, though one
of the IJsselmeer polders is still missing.

I suggest you collect your own contour using a google earth bitmap and
mathematica's coordinate picker tool. Shouldn't be too difficult, but
getting lat/longs right might be more complex.

Deventer has indeed its coordinates missing from the database.
Mathematica does know its population though. Not very satisfactory, I
agree.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Dec 3, 12:42 pm, P_ter <petervansumme... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was impressed by an example for Mathematica 7.0, that is, the globe wit=
h the weather stations. So, I wanted to make something like that for the Ne=
therlands.
> First of all, have a look atwww.maps.google.nlto compare that map with th=
e map from the CountryData: islands are missing, a famous dike is missing, =
and a piece of land won from the sea is missing. So making a polygon for th=
e Netherlands does not work.

> How to find all the weather stations in the Netherlands with Mathematica?=
 There is no method to determine if a weather station is in a certain count=
ry.
> It is here that I stumbled also on holes in CityData: CityData[{All, "Ove=
rijssel", "Netherlands"}] shows that the city Deventer is in it.
> But when I do: CityData[{"Deventer", "Netherlands"}, "Coordinates"],
> I get: {Missing["NotAvailable"], Missing["NotAvailable"]}
>
> It means that the missing coordinates make it difficult to combine the av=
ailable CityData and WeatherData as to determine if a weather station is (n=
ear a city) in the Netherlands.