Re: Re: Copying text out of mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94125] Re: [mg94079] Re: Copying text out of mathematica
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 05:32:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:15:44 -0500 (EST), amannuc1 wrote:
> On Dec 1, 9:30 pm, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:01:25 -0500 (EST), Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez wrote=
> :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> this is probably silly, but anyways... How do I copy text out of
>>> Mathematica (6.0.3, Linux) as plain text without the really, really
>>> annoying \ characters that Mathematica adds to mark line breaks?
>>> How does one control the line-length used by InputForm, for example,
>>> when doing things like
>>>
>>> InputForm@ StringJoin@ Table["a", {160}]
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> -- m
>>>
>> By default, copying Input or Output cells from Mathematica goes to a
>> grea=
> t deal
>> of trouble to preserve evaluation properties.  But to simply copy what =
> you see,
>> just do Copy As->Plain Text.  Copying this way has an infinite width,
>> incidentally...so the only line breaks which will be copied are those
>> whi=
> ch are
>> explicitly in the thing you copied.
>>
>> Copy As Plain Text also has a keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+Shift+C (or
>> Cmd+Shi=
> ft+C on
>> the Mac).
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> John Fultz
>> jfu... at wolfram.com
>> User Interface Group
>> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>
> I tend to have the line break problem. I copy as plain text and all
> sorts of line break character sequences are inserted. It depends on
> which line I copy. For example, this is a paste from a "Copy as plain
> text" operation:
> Off[General::spell1];
>
> But so is this (the next line in my notebook):
> \!\(\*
> RowBox[{\(ngps\  = \ 1.0;\), " ",
> RowBox[{"(*", " ",
> StyleBox[\(n\_t\),
> FontSlant->"Italic"], " ", "*)"}], "\[IndentingNewLine]"}]\)
>
> What gives here? All that the notebook has is:
> ngps = 1.0; (* nt *)
> where the t is actually a subscript. Is the problem due to introducing
> subscripts???
>
> -Tony

I can't reproduce any problem by just putting in a simple subscript as you
suggest.  So, I need to see precisely what you're copying to comment on this.
Select the cell bracket of the cell which is causing the problem, Copy as->Cell
Expression, paste into an email and send it my way.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group