Re: Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94153] Re: Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:12:56 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 3, 5:42 am, P_ter <petervansumme... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was impressed by an example for Mathematica 7.0, that is,
> the globe with the weather stations. So, I wanted to make
> something like that for the Netherlands. First of all, have
> a look at www.maps.google.nl to compare that map with the
> map from the CountryData: islands are missing, a famous dike
> is missing, and a piece of land won from the sea is missing.
> So making a polygon for the Netherlands does not work.

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but you
might be interested in some Google Maps that I created to
display information stored in Mathematica.  The most basic
one simply displays a marker at the capital of each county;
clicking on the marker displays information about the
country.  You can view it here:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/GoogleMaps/Countries/

I also generated several Google Maps that use projections
other than Google's default Mercator projection.  The
Google Maps API provides tools to define your own projection
but it is necessary to generate your own map tiles to use
it.  The tiles in these maps were generated with Mathematica
using the FullPolygons provided with CountryData.  There's
only five zoom levels, but this gets the idea across.  The
projection maps are here:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/GoogleMaps/Projections/

Finally, I wrote a package that converts a GPX file directly
to a GoogleMap:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/GoogleMaps/GPXToGoogleMap/

So, clearly, it's possible to display most of Mathematica's
data directly in a Google Map.

Mark McClure