Re: having V6 and V7 available?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94330] Re: having V6 and V7 available?
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:50:14 -0500 (EST)

wb at wavebounce.com wrote:
> I'm using a Windows XP box.
>

> When updating from V5 to V6 I tried to have both versions running but
> failed. Something in the system made V5 unusable after V6 was installed.
> Now I'm considering the jump to V7 but I don't like taking the chance
> that some V6 programs will no longer be usable.

I don't think I would worry about V6 programs becoming unusable. While
V7 does have many new functions and features, it's not like the big V5
to V6 change.

> Are most users able to have both installations working on the same
> machine? If so, any tips on how to do it? I haven't run across any
> instructions for this yet.

I installed V7 on two different Vista machines, and kept V6 in place.
Both of them work properly, and V7 sucked up my init.m etc. from V6.

On a spare XP machine in my office (an old hand-me-down that I have
around for students to use when they come in for office hours etc.),
there were problems getting V6 and V7 both to work. Apparently both were
trying to use the same mathpass file, and since the passwords are
different, there was a conflict. After registering V7, V6 would ask for
license information; if you put it in, that would wipe out the V7
password. In my Vista installations, there are two different mathpass
files, in different directories, and all is well. I don't know if the
problem on my spare machine is an XP issue, or if it's because there are
multiple user profiles on this machine (with log-in authentication over
the university network), whereas the two Vista machines are set up for a
single user. It might be possible to resolve the mathpass conflict by
installing V7 to a different directory than the default, but rather than
muck around with it this late in the semester, and given that the
students are still using V6, I ended up uninstalling V7 on my spare
machine for now, and will get rid of V6 and re-install V7 during the
semester break.

--
HPR

http://homepages.together.net/~hpr/daveorama/