Re: Parallel computing and JLink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94433] Re: Parallel computing and JLink
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:59:06 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 11, 3:44 am, Jens-Peer Kuska
<ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> When I have to switch to Java for the computation I lose
> the "wonderful Mathematica language" and than I can also
> use C/C++, FORTRAN or anything else.
>
> And if it should be fast, I mean really fast one has to
> use C/C++ anyway.

Here's a neat picture:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/g2space-22.png

The picture shows a 2D slice of the 4D parameter space
for the complex dynamics of Weierstrass elliptic
functions. This a topic of current research in complex
dynamics that I found myself collaborating on via email
with a colleague.  To generate such an image directly
in Mathematica is just *way* too slow, since evaluation
of a Weierstrass elliptic function is *much* more
expensive than evaluation of a quadratic.  JLink was the
perfect tool to use to speed up the computation.  Not
only is JLink easier to use than the more general
MathLink, but cross-platform compatibility was not a
problem -- I'm a mac; she's a PC.  Sure, an alternate
language might be a few times faster, but the Java
speedup was more than sufficient to generate some
publication quality pictures.

Of course, MathLink and C are great as well and I
personally appreciate the great work you've done with
them.

Thanks,
Mark McClure