Re: Re: Re: FiniteGroupData[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94506] Re: [mg94404] Re: [mg94371] Re: FiniteGroupData[]
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:44:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi Murray,

> Surely you jest?

I think you missed the point .

MathWorld is the site maintained by Eric Weisstein at Wolfram and he
has a couple of downloads of "MOST" packages and utilities needed to
properly evaluate notebooks which are available on most pages on the
MathWorld  site to enable personal use and evaluation of specific pages.

However the downloads are not quite complete and I was asking Eric if
he has an updated complete download available so that wherever I
roamed around MathWorld I could just download that pages notebook and
be sure to able to evaluate it right away without hunting for
additional packages.

> For those of us with V7 who would like to configure our systems with
> ALL the required packages what is a complete list and where do we
> find them?

Now to your point:

Our personal systems are getting so sophisticated that we have the
capacity to obsolete the current Mathematica design principle which leads to
the unnecessary loading of optional packages. All of WRI's packages
could be available in the basic distribution and loaded on most of our
systems I think. Indeed Mathematica has been moving in recent releases to
having much bigger subsets loaded and available (Very noticeable in V7
vs V5).

There is considerable utility for WRI and all Mathematica users to have a
truly common system to deal with (and I know there are commercial
reasons for the current mish mash of versions out there).

Anyway I hope Eric responds.

Cheers ... Syd :-)

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 7.0.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (21st November, 2008)
MacOS X V 10.5.4
MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM