Re: Stopping a running program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94904] Re: Stopping a running program
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:52:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

a) your While[ 1==1, Print["Hi"]] cause the kernel to send a lot of
    data to the FrontEnd and the FrontEnd must format it again and
    again for every new cell. So the FrontEnd is busy and it is
    hard for it to send a Abort message to the Kernel.
    I would suggest to use Dynamic[] to show the progress in a variable, i.e.,
    mymessage = "Wait";
    Dynamic[mymessage]

    i = 0;
    While[True,
      mymessage = If[EvenQ[i++], "Humpty", "Dumpty"];
     ]

b) if you do so, Alt-"." as well as the menu entry
    Evaluation | Abort Evaluation work

c) if not, you have to press Alt-. several times and
    hope the the FrontEnd will get it and that the buffer
    with all the Print[] messages is not too full

Regards
   Jens