evaluation rules in FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84628] evaluation rules in FindMinimum
  • From: Andrew Watson <andrew.b.watson at nasa.gov>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 02:43:24 -0500 (EST)

Can anyone explain any special evaluation rules in FindMinimum? I
have a function of two variables, which evaluates perfectly well
outside of FindMinimum, but when I try to minimize it, it freezes as
though perhaps Mathematica is assembling some monstrous unevaluated
expression. It can't be interrupted, and I have to kill the kernel. I
have tried inserting Evaluate in various places but to no avail. I
have used FindMinimum successfully on many previous occasions.

Andrew