ListDensityPlot takes forever and then some

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84622] ListDensityPlot takes forever and then some
  • From: Laszlo Sturmann <lschara at sonic.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 02:40:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

When I import an image (say FITS) with A = Import["file.fit", "FITS"],
the image shows up quickly in Mathematica 6.0.1. That is good.
I wan to process the raw pixel data so I load it into P by P =
Flatten[Import["file.fit", "RawData"],1].
Now I want to see the result. ListDensityPlot worked fine in 5.2.

However, when I call ListDensitPlot[P, Mesh->False] in the latest
version of  Mathematica, it quickly consumes all available RAM (~1.5Gb),
and the computer starts swapping which forces me to kill the process.
I'm not talking about huge images. 640x480 or so.

Clearly,  there must be a way to show a 640x480 density plot in Ver. 6.

 Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Laszlo